U.S. Legal Info

Tax requirements

All international students with the J-1visa category must file certain tax forms with the federal government. Learn about U.S. tax requirements and find resources for filing taxes. 

Identification numbers and cards

  • Social Security Number
    The U.S. Social Security Administration issues unique 9-digit Social Security Numbers (SSN), which are required for many purposes, such as receiving payment through your employer's payroll system, filing taxes, or acquiring a driver's license. You will most likely not need a Social Security Number due to your short period of study in the U.S. Read about required documentation for a SSN. 

  • Driver's license or state ID cards
    Most students do not need to drive as most places are accessible by public transportation.