Don't miss these important steps

This page covers your legal requirements as an international exchange student. Jump to information about:

Visa application

Start the visa process as soon as possible!

  • You will need to submit a DS-2019 request to the Northwestern International Office. On your form, please select Undergraduate Exchange: International Program Development from the drop down menu. You may include the attached acceptance letter or a copy of this e-mail with your request. Please see the International Office website for instructions.

    Tip: Select Undergraduate Exchange: International Program Development from the Program drop-down menu. This will allow the form to self-populate with important information. Include a copy of your acceptance email from the IPD office as your acceptance letter.
  • Northwestern's International Office issues issues the DS-2019. IPD will then express mail the document to you.

SEVIS Registration

  • Establish or transfer a SEVIS record: SEVIS is a tracking system used by the government's Student Exchange and Visitor Program. After your I-20 or DS-2019 has been issued you must register and pay a SEVIS fee.