IPD develops and administers study abroad programs and exchanges that allow Northwestern students to study at premier institutions around the world.
The first steps to studying abroad are to learn about study abroad at Northwestern and select the right program for you. Review the Study Abroad Guide to learn about the nuts and bolts of study abroad at Northwestern as you are researching programs. Also be sure to familiarize yourself with your school's policies and requirements for study abroad.
Use our Explore Programs section to learn more about our study abroad programs. You will find two types of programs:
- IPD Specially Designed Programs are administered by IPD in collaboration with partner institutions. IPD Programs offer an interdisciplinary curriculum organized around a theme, such as global health, culture and identity, or political economy.
- Exchange Programs allow participants to study a variety of subjects when they enroll directly in one of our partner universities around the world.
Also learn about the experiences of Northwestern students who have previously studied abroad on our programs. Our Student Voices section includes links to blogs written by students abroad, program evaluations, and more.
- Applying to an IPD program requires completing an online application and meeting with one of our advisors. See all application steps.
- Find information about financing study abroad in our Financial Considerations section.
Assistance at every stage
- After acceptance, outbound students can find their next steps on our Pre-Departure Steps webpage.
- While studying abroad, students can find critical information and resources on our Resources for Students Abroad webpage.
- Upon return, returning students can find requirements and suggestions in our Resources for Returnees section.